Sunday, September 13, 2015

[San Diego County] Community essay: Foster should leave


Blog note: The writer references a recent grand jury report on the same subject.
Regarding “Foster to return donations from sons’ fundraisers” (Sept. 9): While I’m not an elected official, I wear many hats in my community. I sit on several school and community committees, currently and in the past, including holding leadership positions.
In fact, I’ve received prestigious awards for my volunteer work. I worked closely with board trustee Kevin Beiser to have air conditioning installed in 2,000 of the hottest classrooms in the district due to dangerous conditions. However, when I contact my children’s teachers, schools or the district, I always specify that I am reaching out as a parent only. Let me be clear, I am writing this strictly as a parent with children in the San Diego Unified School District.
I’m also involved with my kids. The definition of “Momma Bear” in the dictionary could have my picture next to it. While I try to teach my kids to work out issues on their own – especially now that they’re older – I go to bat for them when necessary.
So reading that San Diego Unified School Board President Marne Foster confused “Marne the mom” with “Marne the elected official” is simply ludicrous.
Holding a fundraiser for your sons using the district’s website and logo to advertise it – and inviting people who do business with the board – is not acceptable, Marne. You’re too smart for that.
Also, the former principal at Marne’s son’s high school stated in a published article that she’s certain Marne was the force behind her termination, due to the principal’s decisions regarding Marne’s son. The county grand jury also came to that conclusion, without naming Marne. According to the grand jury report, parents at the school praised the principal for her work, so how was removing her in the best interest of the community?
Yet in response to the report, the district said it would not change its policies. When Marne was elected to the school board, I was excited that an intelligent community activist would help run California’s second largest district. What a disappointment. In my opinion, Marne’s lack of integrity and her role as board president unfairly harms the stature of the district.
Marne, please step down. I don’t have the time or resources to run a recall election; therefore, I urge people in Marne’s subdistrict (District E) to find a qualified, ethical candidate to run against her in next year’s election.
My highest priorities are my children. However, I would never violate my ethics to gain an unfair advantage for them. What does that teach them? It’s time we elect a school board president we trust. Again, I want to make it clear that I speak for no other parents, committees or schools.
September 11, 2015
San Diego Union-Tribune
Opinion by Gloria Tran, a child advocate and the 77th Assembly District’s Woman of the Year 2015

No comments: