Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Why you should join the [Mendocino] county civil grand jury


Civil Grand Juries provide an important oversight to local government. The spring deadline for applying for the Mendocino County Grand Jury is fast approaching: May 3, 2020.
You have probably heard of criminal grand juries, which decide whether there is sufficient evidence to charge a person with a crime. However, there is another form of grand jury: The California Penal Code requires that every county annually appoint a civil grand jury (comprised for most counties of 19 residents) to serve for a one-year period beginning each July 1. These civil grand juries are empowered to provide citizen oversight of local government agencies.
Why would you want to consider serving on a civil grand jury? You might be influenced by the desire to help ensure that local governments are run more efficiently and ethically.
You might have a unique expertise or interest in governmental services dealing with, for example, prisons and law enforcement, fire protection, health care, child abuse, elder abuse, municipal transportation, pensions, water and sewage or special districts.
Most importantly, serving on a civil grand jury will enable you to learn more about the community in which we live while making constructive suggestions to those in authority that will help ensure that our tax dollars are wisely and efficiently spent.
Clearly, there is a need for jurors with diversified interests and skills. If you’re interested, here is what you need to know:
•You must be a county resident age 18 or older.
•You must have been a resident of the county for at least one year on July 1 of your service year.
•You should be able to commit up to 20 hours per week during your year of grand jury service.
•You will receive only modest compensation for your efforts.
•You must be comfortable working in a “team” environment.
•You only have the power of public persuasion.
•You must be willing to keep your deliberations secret.
The process to become a civil grand juror for the next jury year, beginning July 1, starts in the spring. Those who have an interest in pursuing an appointment to the Mendocino County Civil Grand Jury (MCCGJ), should go to the appropriate website. Applications are accepted from all qualified citizens and may be downloaded (https://www.mendocinocounty.org/government/grand-jury/about-the-grand-jury).
Applications are reviewed by the Superior Court judge appointed to preside over the Grand Jury, and a drawing is held to pick 19 jurors. Those not selected are placed in a pool of alternates. You are urged to apply as quickly as possible.
You may also contact Mendocino County Civil Grand Jury, P.O. Box 939, Ukiah, CA 95482 or call (707) 463-4320. Email: grandjury@mendocinocounty.org
Here are some thoughts from Mendocino County Jurors why they decided to serve:
Donna Worster, in Gualala, said, “Living on the coast I felt that it should have representation in all matters involving our side of the mountain.  It has proven to be more of an enlightenment to me than I ever expected.  The trip over the hill has never been a burden or a danger and the meetings were always respectful of my travel time.  Please help represent the coast area from Rockport to Gualala.”
Willits resident Yvonne Winter said, “I signed up because I was curious how government agencies worked and wanted to get an ‘inside’ view of the mechanism of County administration. I’m glad I did. I’ve learned a lot, most of which I was unaware I’d wanted to know!  I’ve also discovered many facets of local rules which need fixing and/or updating and had access to people who are not only interested in doing so, but sincerely dedicated to selflessly pursuing a better Mendocino County for all.” She has served several terms.
Another Willits resident, retired schoolteacher Carly Stewart explained, “I joined without the foggiest notion of what a tour on the MCCGJ would be like. When I filled out my application, I’d never even read a previous Grand Jury report.  But I read and followed the Mueller report carefully and became intrigued by how often ‘Grand Jury’ was referred to.  Juxtaposed to that time I saw the newspaper request for people to apply to serve on the Grand Jury.  I thought, ‘Why not?’  I knew I was going to have a rough year ahead as a health care provider to my loved ones, and I thought serving on the Grand Jury would give me a mental health break with a diverting learning curve. I wasn’t wrong. What I hadn’t anticipated was the camaraderie and respect that could be developed in the committees.” This is her first year serving on the Grand Jury.
From Ukiah resident Jan Olav comes this explanation, “While we’re all just average, everyday people, as a whole the Grand Jury should be better than average. It should be a well-respected body and the only way to gain that respect is to produce reports that are credible: Thought provoking, informative, have ability to be the instrument for improvement, or they recognize a job well done. So, as trite as it sounds, I joined to make a difference. What I like is the people! The knowledge and experience in that Grand Jury room is amazing!” This is her first year serving on the MCCGJ.
Phyllis Dockins, Ukiah, has served many terms on the MCCGJ and still comes back for more: “My experience with serving on the Grand Jury has been great. As a retired person I have enjoyed my years of service for they have given me the opportunity to continue as a contributing citizen. I have come to appreciate the hard work and dedication I see in others who volunteer. The work is not easy at times, but the satisfaction of being a part of positive changes to local government is worth it.”
Joanie Stevens, another Ukiah resident in her second term as a Juror said, “I’m a very active library user. The two reports (2014 & 2015) the MCCGJ wrote about the Mendocino County library system and the issues with County funding and chargebacks in the budget made a huge positive impact. Since the MCCGJ’s actions helped improve the lives of all library patrons, I felt that serving would be one way I could affect positive change for my community. It has been an eye opener for sure!”
Gualala resident Art Juhl, nearing the end of his first term of service on MCCGJ, said, “I was running for County Supervisor and my research showed that financial accounting was not accounted for. In other words, where’s the money? Knowing that an investigation would reveal the answer, the best place to research is in the world of the Grand Jury. I wanted to help ensure that local governments are run more efficiently and ethically.”
Tim Prince, Ukiah resident and past Foreman of MCCGJ had this to say, “Citizenship in a democracy requires the citizens to be involved and INFORMED. Everybody has an opinion; how many citizens have done their homework? Do the citizens understand the human impact, cost, short term and long term, and challenges of implementation of a new program? What is the goal of the program and what are the steps and timelines to achieve the final goal? Serving on the Grand Jury allows Jury members to interview the people responsible, challenge the new program and follow up with recommendations to the leaders involved. The public gets a Grand Jury report, graphics, analysis and recommendations. Being a member of the grand jury offers the opportunity to be informed in depth on local government.”

The Willitts News

April 12, 2020

No comments: