Saturday, December 19, 2015

[Kern County] Sound Off by Readers of the Bakersfield Californian

This feedback forum is designed to give readers a way to voice criticisms and compliments or ask questions about The Californian's news coverage. Your questions may be edited for space.
Reader: I read Theo Douglas’ rather snarky remark about the grand jury being “purveyors of finer reading material since never,” and while I confess to not being snark-free myself, I want to point out that the grand jury is mandated to exist and produce reports in particular formats.
The grand jury consists of 19 members who essentially volunteer their time for an entire year and get paid pocket change. By and large, these folks are sincere about fulfilling their charge in examining county and city government and reporting their findings to the general public. If they find problems within a department, they report that and make suggestions; if they find things are going well they report that. The members have varying levels of education and competency but shouldn’t be mocked for their efforts.
— Susan Reep
Price: That was attempt at humor on Theo’s part, I’m sure. Grand Jury reports are sometimes written in less than scintillating prose, but you’re right — these are volunteers with a very specific (and important) role to play. This particular Kern County grand jury has been blessed (or cursed) with a largely corruption-free calendar of investigations, so the reading is not as riveting as in some years, but it’s important nonetheless. I asked Theo about his snark. Here’s his response:
“I appreciate the time grand jury members spend investigating issues throughout Kern County and I don't doubt their sincerity. But if local agencies are well-run and things are going about as well as can be expected, I don’t think a grand jury needs to spend its time telling us that. I want to read about problems in Kern County that really need fixing, and I know they’re out there.”
December 18, 2015
The Bakersfield Californian
By Robert Price


No comments: